hey hey! I had a request recently to share some of my travel essentials for the travel newbie and I’m happy to share the few things that I love and can’t leave behind on my travels.
First, let me start from the initial booking! My go-to booking site is skiplagged! It finds the flights that other airlines don’t want you to find and combines flights from various airlines as well so it’s a way to cut some corners and save some pennies! I got my roundtrip flights to Europe for $800 and have found some other great flights on the site since. Make an account and get to booking your next vacay!
Now for all the things!
- Capsule Wardrobe
- Clothes that all work together, share similar colors, and can make plenty of outfits
- Good accessories to add: a neutral hat, a scarf that fits in the capsule, simple jewelry, sunglasses
- Summer shoes: highly recommend Chacos
- Packing cubes or space saver bags
- Neck pillow – highly recommend one with memory foam
- Microfiber towel – a perfect blanket and/or towel (in European hostels, towels cost 5 Euros)
- Eye mask – for solid sleeping anywhere
- Good baggage
- here’s my favorites: backpack, carry-on, and purse/fanny pack
- RFID-blocking wallet … make sure no one can scan your credit cards!
- Makeup Wipes
- Baggage Locks
- Travel adapter – a necessity for international travel
- A good book – paperback
- A few recommendations? Visit this blog post.
- Airline apps – for all airlines you’re flying
- Good music
- Favorite podcast
- Recommendations? Read this blog post.
A Couple Reminders:
- Travel size — if you’re flying with only a backpack and carry-on (my preferred way to travel!) be sure to downsize to less than 3 oz. bottles of all your favorites!
- Roll your clothes — rolling your clothes saves space and allows you to stack more.
Places I’ve Been, If You’re Wondering or Want Specifics!
- Rome, Italy
- Cologne, Germany
- Munich, Germany
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Paris, France
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Tbilisi, Georgia *the country
- Batumi, Georgia *the country
- Much of the Midwest! (SD is home, of course)
- ND, MN, NE, IA, WI
- Denver, Colorado
- Wichita, Kansas
- St. Louis, Missouri (mostly just the Arch, though)
- Nashville, Tennessee (though just for one night)
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
- Washington, D.C.
- New York, New York
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Hollywood, Florida
- Orlando, Florida
- Austin, Texas
- Phoenix, AZ (Chandler area)
- San Clemente, California
- Seattle, Washington
North America / Caribbean
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Cozumel, Mexico
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Ocho Rios, Jamaica
- Martha Brae River, Jamaica
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
Traveling is such a blessing & I’m so grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had to do so! For further inspiration, visit my Pinterest board full of great travel & adventure quotes 🙂